Division 2 is an RPG game from Ubisoft-Massive that has seen drastic changes in terms of both loot and game mechanics. There is a slew of fresh gear and exotics that’s been added to the game, but Merciless is among the classic ones. Merciless in Division 2 is arguably one of the most unique exotics regarding both looks and usage. It may look like an assault rifle, but it’s a semi-automatic rifle with a unique shooting mechanic.
- The Merciless is an exotic semi-automatic rifle in Division 2 that has a unique talent called “Binary Trigger” which allows it to shoot two bullets in one trigger pull and release.
- If both bullets hit the same target, you gain a stack. At seven stacks, shooting an enemy deals +500% amplified damage and creates a 7m explosion dealing additional +500% amplified damage on consuming stacks.
- The striker gearset bonus with three striker pieces and additional talents can increase weapon handling, fire rate, and critical damage.
- The Merciless is a Hyena weapon, and it drops from missions that feature a Hyena boss. The main missions that feature a Hyena boss are Jefferson Trade Center, Grand Washington Hotel, Bank Headquarters, and District Union Arena Stronghold.
- To increase your chances of getting The Merciless, you can increase the mission difficulty to challenging, heroic, or legendary, or add a few directives. You can also farm these missions when their target loot is a rifle.
- For the best results, you can farm the open world areas that have a rifle as their target loot. The open world is divided into different areas, and each one has its own target loot.
- A good build for Merciless includes Striker mask, Ceska bag-pack, Groupo chest piece, Striker gloves, Striker holster, and Overload kneepads with Fox Prayer, Shield Splintered, and spec points into rifle damage and assault rifle damage.
- The Merciless has unique binary trigger talent that deals high damage potential with stacks which is very useful for taking out groups of enemies but it requires precision and skill to use, and it can be difficult to obtain through RNG loot drops.
How to Use Merciless Talent in Division 2
“Some people say I lack empathy. They’re wrong. What I lack is mercy.” -Zodiac, Hyenas Councilmember
As cool as the quote sounds, this gun also does it justice. It has a talent called a binary trigger, which is nothing like you’ve seen in Division.
Unlike other rifles in Division 2, this gun shoots two bullets in one trigger. How is that possible? Well, it’s because of its talent called “Binary Trigger”.
This is what the talents say:
“This weapon fires on trigger pull and release. If both bullets hit the same target, gain a stack. At seven stacks, shooting an enemy deals, +500% amplified damage and creates a 7m explosion dealing (additional) +500% amplified damage on consuming stacks.
Let me add a bit of explanation on how this talent works. Basically, you fire one bullet when you push the trigger, and one when you release it.
If both the bullets fired hits a target, you get 1 stack out of 7. When you keep gaining stacks, at the 7th stack, you’ll do 500% amplified damage and a 7 meter AOE damage of another amplified 500%.
So basically, not just your enemy will get amplified damage but others around him as well. This talent especially comes in handy when you have a bunch of enemies grouped.
Build for Merciless
This is my go-to build when I run Merciless on my character. Here’s a breakdown of it:
- Mask: Striker (1/3) mask with 12% critical damage and 6% critical chance
- Bag: Ceska Bag-pack with 12% critical damage, 6% critical chance, and “Composure” talent (15% Damage in Cover)
- Chest Piece: Groupo chest piece with 12% critical damage, 6% critical chance, and “Braced” talent (45% Weapon Handling Increase in Cover)
- Gloves: Striker (2/3) gloves with 12% critical damage or 6% chance
- Holster: Striker (3/3) holster with 12% critical damage or 6% chance
- Kneepads: Overload kneepads (Fox Prayer) with 8% damage out of cover and 12% critical damage or 6% chance.
For weapons, we have The Merciless and Shield Splintered. Be sure to spec points into rifle damage and assault rifle damage in the specialization skill tree.
Now the main ingredient in the build is the striker gearset bonus. With three striker pieces, you’ll get 15% weapon handling, and a 15% increased fire rate. The weapon handling from gunner specialization, Braced talent on chest piece and striker will make Merciless much easier to control.
Pair the stability with increased fire rate and critical damage, and you’ll have a gun that dishes out a considerable amount of damage (DPS).
Since Division 2 is a cover-based shooter, the bag-pack “Composure” talent will give you a nice damage boost. Additionally, you’ll do 8% amplified damage to enemies that aren’t taking cover with Fox Prayer kneepads.
Just make sure to have at least 50+ critical chance and focus all other attributes and gear mods to critical damage. But, this build isn’t a be-all and end-all build. So take it as a template and adjust it to your own playstyle.
Similar Reads: Fallout 4 Legendary Effects: THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON EFFECTS
Merciless Division 2 Farming Locations
You can try and farm The Merciless in Division 2 at many locations throughout the game; let’s discuss some of the main ones.
Merciless from Hyena Missions
As Merciless is a Hyena weapon, it will drop from missions that feature a Hyena boss. There are 4 main missions in the game that feature a Hyena boss.
- Jefferson Trade Center
- Grand Washington Hotel
- Bank Headquarters
- District Union Arena Stronghold
By powering through the above missions, there will be a boss at the end. Depending on your luck, you might get your hands on it in one of the runs.
Pro Tip: Since all the loot drops in the game depend on RNG, are even rare. To increase your chances, increase the mission difficulty to either challenging, heroic, or legendary (Stronghold only). You can also add a few directives which will increase your chances. The best tip, however, is to farm these missions when their target loot is a rifle.
Open World Target Loot
Similar to the target loot of a mission, the open-world is divided into different areas, and each one has its own target loot. So you can fast-travel to the area that has a rifle as a target loot.
You can do open-world activities in that areas that include:
- Propaganda Broadcasts
- Public Executions
- NPC Rescue Operations
- Control Points
- Resource Convey
- Elite Patrols
By completing the above activities in a rifle target loot zone, there will be a chance for Merciless to drop. You can also activate directives and increase your chances.
Summit Game Mode
In title update 11, a new PVE-focused game mode named “Summit” was introduced in Division 2. It brings you to a 100 floored skyscraper that’s occupied by different factions. Difficulty ramps up as your progress to higher floors, and more difficulty means better loot.
There’s another unique feature to the summit, and that is choosing your own targeted loot. Unlike the open world, where target loot is updated periodically, you can manually select rifles and start farming in the summit.
If you want the difficulty high from the get-go, select either challenging, heroic, or legendary difficulty before stepping into the elevator. This will apply the chosen difficulty to all floors of the summit.
There are also 10 directives to choose from compared to 5 of the open world. They can be activated to increase difficulty, but also chances to obtain The Merciless.
It’s not exactly a location, but you can get exotics, especially Merciless guaranteed this way. It’s through the weekly SHD requisition and legendary missions project.
At the end of the day, it’s all about the grind and how much time you invest into farming for Merciless. But one thing I know is that it’s worth it! So if you don’t find it in a single run, just try again, and it’s just a matter of time it’ll be in your inventory. Good luck agents!
The Guide is now updated with additional information.
Good job! Please give your positive feedback 😏
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 💡