Can’t find your Overwatch 1 inventory in Overwatch 2? Having to wait hours in a queue to merge your account? You’re not alone. The Overwatch 2 account merge not working problem is being experienced by hundreds of players.
It’s caused by an overloading of the players’ database along with a UI bug. Players can try resolving the issue by restarting the game or linking their console to their Overwatch account. Another resolution is to check if the internet connection is stable.
Eventually, however, if nothing else works, you may have to just wait until the game developers officially fix the issue.
So, without further ado, here’s how you can fix the account merge not working issue.
- Many players are not able to merge their Overwatch 1 and 2 accounts.
- The issue is caused by database overloads and a UI bug.
- Players can try restarting the game or logging in and out of their accounts.
- Linking the console to your account may also solve the problem.
- You should also check your internet connection.
- Lastly, you can submit a support ticket.
The Account Merge Not Working Error Explained
The account merge error is causing multiple players to not be able to migrate their accounts over to Overwatch 2. This is causing their in-game inventories to be completely reset. Other players have noted that only some of their items have been removed and cannot be found anywhere in the game.
In most cases, players who are attempting to do an account merge have to wait in the account merge queue for hours. Other times, players are unable to even find the account merge prompt.
But don’t worry – your information is still secure with Blizzard. The game’s databases are overloaded. But the account information is still there, including all of your items.
Aside from that, there was another bug that was making it impossible for players who had merged their accounts to log in. This issue has been resolved now. But some may still be experiencing the bug if they haven’t updated the game.
Causes For Account Merge Not Working
As stated above, there are two ways in which this error can occur. Either you’ll be stuck in a merge queue for hours or you won’t even see the account merge prompt.
The lengthy queue times are attributed to overcrowded databases. Several players are trying to merge their accounts all at once. However, the servers simply can’t handle that many requests.
Thus, players are put in a queue that can sometimes last for hours. This may make it seem like their accounts are not getting merged. However, it simply means that your account is taking longer to merge than expected.
If, however, you are not even finding the account merge prompt to begin with, then Blizzard has an answer for that as well. This issue is with the UI and, unfortunately, there isn’t much the player can do.
The only thing you can do if this is happening to you is update the game and watch out for future Tweets. The game developers have already rolled out a UI patch for this. But future UI patches are still under development and should be deployed in the coming days.
How To Fix Overwatch 2 Account Merge Not Working
Here’s how to fix the Overwatch 2 account merge not working error:
Wait For Your Overwatch 1 Items to Get Transferred to Overwatch 2
The first thing you should do if your account merge is not working is to wait for your items to get transferred. Blizzard has officially declared that the players’ database has been getting overloaded.
As a result, it may take more time for your Overwatch 2 items to transfer to Overwatch 2. Hence, it’s best to wait a little before moving on to the next steps.
It should be noted that, while the database is overcrowded, the information about the players’ accounts has not been deleted. Thus, it’s better to wait out the merging process.
Restart The Game
If you have waited for quite some time and the account merge still hasn’t been completed, you should restart the game. While not an absolute fix, restarting the game forces the game’s server to check your account again.
You may need to reboot your computer to remove any residual information about your account.
Log Back into Your Account
This fix has not been confirmed by Blizzard themselves. But it may help reset information about your account on the servers. Just like restarting the game, this will force the servers to check your account again.
- Launch the Battle.net application and navigate to the home page.
- Click on your profile picture at the top right of the screen. A drop-down menu will open.
- From the drop-down menu, locate the “Log Out” option. Click on it to log out of your account. Make sure any progress is saved before doing this.
- Then, in the login screen interface, log back into your account by entering your credentials.
Check Your Internet Connection
Oftentimes, there is a user-side error with account merging. An unstable internet connection is often the culprit for the Overwatch 2 account merge not working.
- Firstly, locate the Wi-Fi icon on your taskbar (if it has been enabled). Ensure that it shows 3-4 bars. If it shows a globe symbol, then your internet has been disconnected.
- You can reconnect to the internet by clicking on the Wi-Fi icon and locating the name of your internet connection. Click on the internet connection you want to connect to and click on “Connect”.
- If you can’t find the Wi-Fi icon in the taskbar, then click on the Start button. Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Status and check the status of the network connection.
- If your internet is connected but unstable, try resetting the router. You can always wait it out as the connection may have temporarily dropped due to weather conditions.
- Too many devices may be connected to the internet. In that case, disconnect any devices you’re not currently using.
- If nothing else works, you should search for updates by clicking on the Start button and typing “Updates”. Click on “Check for updates”. In the Windows Update window, check for new updates and install them.
- Lastly, contact your Internet Service Provider to resolve the issue.
Link The Console Account to Battle.net
Another fix you can try is logging in to your battle.net account through your console. This will help solve the issue in some cases.
- First, go to your console account and log into your Overwatch profile.
- You’ll see some on-screen instructions to link your account. You’ll need to scan a QR code through your mobile device. But there may be other steps, so follow the instructions carefully.
- Keep in mind that there is a UI bug due to which the QR code may not show up. In that case, you’ll need to either reboot the game or wait for an official fix.
- After that, a code will be displayed. Enter this code to connect to your Blizzard account. You can always create a new Blizzard account if you don’t have one.
- The next time you log into the game, you’ll need to verify your account. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Contact Blizzard Support
Lastly, if nothing else works, you can contact Blizzard Support. It’s recommended to wait for an official fix. However, it’s also possible that your specific case may be due to some other issue and not the presently-known bug. Hence, opening a support ticket will clarify what’s causing the issue.
- Navigate to the official Blizzard Support webpage.
- Under “Tell us about the issue”, describe the issue. Don’t go into too much detail. Don’t mention your account ID just yet.
- A “Try the following” menu will open. Click on “Merge Game Accounts” and be sure to read the information on the screen.
- If the information you need isn’t there, then click on “I still need help”.
- Select Account > Not listed here.
- Under “Still need help?”, click on “Contact Us”.
- Write down your full name and contact email along with your phone number. In the “Description” section, describe the problem in detail. Mention your account ID and when the issue occurs. You can also attach screenshots to help the customer support personnel get a better picture of your problem.
- Click on “Submit” and keep checking your email for any updates on the issue.
Is Blizzard Going to Fix the Account Merge Error?
The account merge error is surely wreaking havoc among Overwatch fans. And considering that it follows weeks of other similar issues, players are growing impatient. Everyone wants to know when Blizzard will fix the issues.
Luckily, Blizzard has acknowledged the account merge problem and is working on it. In a recent tweet, they stated that they are well aware of the long account merge queues. And they are actively working to expand the capacity of their player databases.
In another update, Aaron Keller, the Game Director for Overwatch 2, said that the team is working on a recent DDoS attack. It’s likely that the account merge error is linked to that attack, along with several other errors.
Hence, there is hope that this issue will get solved in the coming weeks.
Account errors in Overwatch 2 are not unheard of. Not being able to merge your Overwatch 2 account is a frustrating issue that can lead to unfavorable gameplay. And while Blizzard is working on the issue, players don’t want to wait around for a server-side fix.
Fortunately, there are a few fixes that players can try to resolve the issue. Players can try checking their internet connections or logging back into their accounts. Linking the account to Battle.net is also an option.
Lastly, you can submit a support ticket to Blizzard support. If nothing else works, you’ll need to wait until Blizzard officially resolves the issue.
Good job! Please give your positive feedback 😏
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 💡