What does Fortune do?
Fortune is a top tier enchantment, and it’s safe to say that it will remain in that top tier due to its crazy amount of usefulness. This is for both new and veteran players alike. What does fortune do in Minecraft? I hear you ask; well, get ready for some facts and figures in this guide that will blow your mind.
- Fortune is a top-tier enchantment that increases the number of items of certain blocks when mined/broken with tools like pickaxes, axes, shovels, and hoes.
- Fortune III cannot be applied to a tool with Silk Touch and vice versa, as these enchantments are mutually exclusive.
- Fortune enchantment is useful for players who like to go mining as it speeds up the process of mineral gathering, allowing more time for other activities.
- To apply the fortune enchantment, players need to have a basic understanding of Minecraft’s enchanting system and a max-level enchanting area to get the best possible enchants, and they will need Lapis Lazuli for the process.
- The Pickaxe is the primary tool that benefits the most from the Fortune III enchantment as it increases the chances of getting 2-4 diamonds from each ore and applies to every ore that can be mined with a Pickaxe.
- The Axe and Hoe do not have practical uses for Fortune III as any block that can be mined with the Axe can be mined with the player’s hand, and the Hoe is only useful for farming.
- The only use that Fortune III on a Shovel can have is getting lots of Flint, as a Fortune III Shovel in Minecraft has a 100% chance of getting Flint by mining Gravel.
Fortune is an enchantment applied to tools (Pickaxes, Axes, Shovels, and Hoes). It increases the number of items of certain blocks when mined/broken with these tools.
In this guide on what fortune does in Minecraft, we will talk about each tool and how they benefit from this enchantment.
Note: Any tool with Fortune III CAN NOT have Silk Touch as these enchantments are mutually exclusive.
Should you use Fortune in Minecraft?
This enchantment is very useful for players who like to go mining and those who don’t want to spend too much time just digging out the entire underground. This will effectively speed up your process of mineral gathering, allowing you more time to do other things. Otherwise, I would recommend the Silk Touch enchantment more as it will be more useful in future projects.
Hopefully, this gave you an in-depth idea of how the Fortune enchantment in Minecraft works. Do check out our other guides, as they are mighty helpful. You might even learn a few things you never knew about your favourite game, like Dark Souls 3, Destiny 2 or Fallout 4.
Getting the Enchantment
To apply the fortune enchantment, you need first to have a basic understanding of Minecraft’s enchanting system and a max level enchanting area to get the best possible enchants. Alongside this, you will need Lapis for the process of enchanting a book or the tool itself. We will mainly be looking for Fortune III because that will be the most useful to you as the player.
For the best results, have 30 levels of experience (that green bar that fills up when you slay mobs and mine ores) and at least 3 Lapis Lazuli (although you would need more than that just in case).
Note: The Fortune enchantment in Minecraft CAN NOT be applied to a tool with Silk Touch and vice-versa as these enchantments are mutually exclusive.
Tools with Fortune III
The Pickaxe is the primary tool that you will use in Minecraft most of the time. So naturally, you would want it to have the best enchantments available to you. That would include Fortune III, among others.
To break it down in the most straightforward way possible, if you mine a diamond ore with a regular Pickaxe, then you will only get one diamond. Still, if you mine it with a Fortune III Pickaxe, you have a high chance of getting 2-4 diamonds from each ore, and this applies to every ore that can be mined with a Pickaxe.
That may not seem like much, but it quickly compounds, and you will be able to see the difference in your survival world after 1 or 2 mining sessions.
Ores that are mined with a Fortune III Pickaxe in Minecraft can be found below:
Similar Article: Best Pickaxe in Terraria
The Axe is another essential tool in the player’s arsenal. Recently, the developers have also upgraded the Axe gameplay-wise, giving it more versatility in its use. This means that it too can receive the Fortune enchant in Minecraft.
To put it simply, DO NOT put Fortune III on an Axe. Any block that can be mined with the Axe can be mined with the player’s hand, so it has no practical use.
It does raise the chances of certain drops like Apples (0.5% → 0.8%) and Saplings (5% → 8%), but the percentage increase is not high enough to justify putting it on an Axe. Fortune is more valuable on the Pickaxe, as mentioned above.
Another Interesting Article: Stardew Valley Fruit Trees: Everything You Need to Know
A shovel is incredibly useful to you if you need lots of resources such as Sand, Dirt, Grass, etc.
It truly has no use on this tool, just like the Axe.
The only use that Fortune III on a Shovel can have is getting lots of Flint. That’s because a Fortune III Shovel in Minecraft has a 100% chance of getting Flint by mining Gravel.
The Hoe is primarily a farming tool in Minecraft and is only used for such activities.
However, it too can be enchanted with Fortune III and this enchanting yields only one use. More seeds.
This is not a joke. The only thing Fortune III does for Hoes in Minecraft is that it allows you to get more seeds when breaking grass.
I can’t imagine this being useful to anyone unless they are starved for space or playing on a custom map such as Skyblock. In a similar vein to the Axe, DO NOT use Fortune III on a Hoe as it is more useful on other tools such as the previously mentioned Pickaxe and Shovel. This was VeryAliGaming Guide on What Does Fortune Do In Minecraft. Make sure also to check out Dark souls 3 Heavy Armour.
Good job! Please give your positive feedback 😏
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 💡